Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tip-O-The-Day: Needed, Big Strong Man?

I was at a friend's house the other day and we were discussing the rearranging of her living room furniture and she actually said, "I think I'll hire a couple guys to just shift everything." What?? I really didn't understand this because she doesn't own anything over 4 feet tall or more than a 150 pounds . . . I think I said, "What are you talking about?"  Was she really going to pay a man to scoot furniture around her apartment?  So I let her in on the secret to being a delicate flower (myself included!) and moving heavy furniture.

1) AS SEEN ON TV:  You can buy those furniture coasters they sell on late-night TV where a tiny woman slips them under each corner of a ten foot tall, fully stacked bookcase, then pushes it across the carpet with one hand. They are plastic discs that displace the weight and slide like casters.

2) FOR THE STARVING ARTISTS: You can use a good, thick, flat piece of cardboard underneath one end or both ends of the furniture.  For example, if you are moving a couch alone, you can put the cardboard under one end (or two legs) of the couch, then lift the other end and pull it into the new spot. Remember, ALWAYS LIFT WITH YOUR KNEES!! Especially if you're alone, nothing like throwing out your back and not being able to reach a phone! I've done it. Not fun. It took me 4 hours to get to the phone. On December 23rd, the day I was to fly home for Christmas.  Yeah, not fun. But I digress, if you're moving a bookshelf, empty it first, put cardboard under the whole thing, then push from the lower part of the case. Have your tennies on for better traction.

So, cardboard, bent knees, tennies and some gumption - But first, always call a friend,  if we're around, we really are happy to help for free, or for a glass of wine :)

thanks for reading!  xo ruby

1 comment: