Friday, October 8, 2010

Tip-O-The-Day: Organize your Soul

Tonight I went to a spiritual place to hear a little experience, strength and hope. I didn't really hear much . . . but on the way home in the Friday night Hollywood traffic (also no strength or hope there) I found myself stuck in front of the $25 Chinese Foot Massage place.  My first thought was "I don't need to spend the money..." but a couple of small miracles happened that I just couldn't ignore.
1)  There was a restriction free and meterless parking space in front of the entrance.
2) Although I had passed it by about a yard, when I looked in the rear view, there was NO ONE behind me on Sunset Blvd.
3) I am house-sitting this weekend and have some unexpected cash.

Needless to say, I put it in reverse and swung into that parking spot like an early settler staking their claim on the prairie.

Now, a "Foot Massage" is not an accurate advertisement.  You go in and there are 9 bark-a-loungers draped in giant terry cloth towels. It's very dim light and a low soundtrack of tweeting birds and harp is playing. But you don't start in the lounger. They bring out a wood tub of warm water with good smelly stuff in it. You sit on an ottoman with a big pillow in your lap and your feet in the water while they work on your back for the first 1/2 hour. The nice but odd man whispers in my ear, "Your neck very bad."
Yes, I know.  "You work today?" "No. I worked on myself today." I don't know if got my meaning but he chuckled and pressed a little harder.

When its time for the lounger, they guide you to it, recline you completely, put pillows under your head, cover your eyes and then swaddle you in big, fluffy towels like blankets. The next 1/2 hour is spent on your feet, legs, and arms while you're cocooned in the bark-a-lounger.

Then when it's time to pay, the total of $32 (with tip) is like eating an entire box of Trader Joe's "No Guilt" brownies - So decadent but No Guilt!! Just bliss, whether it's your tummy or the rest of your body.

Brownies and cheap massage, that's how I organize my soul.

Thanks for reading! xo ruby

PS- if your here in LA and want to try them out, it's on Sunset just east of Western across from Food for Less.

1 comment:

  1. Nice write up! This sounds a bit like the massage places in Thailand...super affordable and fuss free but absolutely wonderful. I wish we had something like that here in Portland. Here massage is overly precious (plus you have to undress and get all greasy) not to mention expensive.

    ReplyDelete